13th September 2017
AMSRS have received a number of calls in regards to a survey being conducted by WPA Intelligence.
We wish to advise that WPA Intelligence has no members of AMSRS; they are a company operating out of America.
The survey WPA Intelligence are conducting in regards to the same-sex marriage postal survey appears to be “push-polling” – an activity that attempts to impart information to individuals rather than collect information from individuals. This practice is not genuine social research and runs contrary to the AMSRS Code of Professional Behaviour and may contravene aspects of the Privacy Act (Australian Privacy Principles).
The AMSRS Code of Professional Behaviour requires inter alia:
- survey research must be honest, truthful and objective and be carried out in accordance with appropriate scientific principles
- researchers must not abuse the trust of participants or exploit their lack of experience or knowledge
- researchers must take all reasonable precautions to ensure that participants are in no way harmed or adversely affected as a result of their participation in a research project, and
- researchers must promptly identify themselves and unambiguously state the purpose of the research.
The Privacy Act (under Australian Privacy Principle 5) requires surveys to include a collection statement that specifies inter alia:
- the identity and contact details of the entity running and sponsoring the survey
- the purposes for which the survey is being conducted
- whether the information collected will be transferred overseas.
For further information contact AMSRS on 02 9566 3100
The Australian Market & Social Research Society Limited (AMSRS) is a not-for-profit professional membership body of over 2,000 market and social research professionals who are dedicated to increasing the standard and understanding of market and social research in Australia.